Save Nubia Project to inform students
Ampim to shed light on ancient civilizations
The Save Nubia Project Seminar will be held on Feb. 22, from 1-3:30 p.m. in LA-100. The event will cost $10 for general admission, or $5 with a student ID.
The historical African civilizations of ancient Kush and Nubia are in jeopardy of being flooded by dams along the Nile River in Sudan.
History professor Manu Ampim and his research team are documenting archaeological evidence before the flooding begins.
Ampim and co-coordinator Naeem Deskins started the program in the spring of 2012.
"It is an important project that helps preserve the threatened cultural heritages of people of African descent," Deskins said.
There are two phases of the project. The first phase is to raise $50,000 to document what is left of ancient Sudan. The second phase is to have the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization make Nubia a heritage site, Deskins said.
At the seminar later this month, Ampim plans to educate students on the history of Sudan.
"The past gives students the understanding of the present," he said. "I also want people to understand Sudan's past."
African-American studies department Chairperson Carolyn Hodge said she is helping promote the project because of her African descent and because it is important to preserve the cultural heritage of people of African descent.
For more information, contact the Save Nubia Project at 510-273-2456, or online at www.savenubia.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...