Season comes to end in stalemate
Tie results in loss of hopes of BVC title
Comet defender Mason Quintero jumps to head the ball against 49ers’ forward Gabriel Vasquez during the game at Yuba College on Friday. Qing Huang / The Advocate
A resilient season came to an end for the men's soccer team after a 0-0 stalemate at Yuba College (5-10-4 overall, 2-7-3 Bay Valley Conference) on Friday.
The Comets could not get going offensively in the first half and both teams were evenly matched defensively.
CCC (7-10-3 overall, 7-2-3 BVC) had trouble with its passing and were getting beat down the middle of the field, which led to turnovers.
The Comets have beaten the 49ers twice this season, but this was a big game for Comet players, leaving some of them on edge.
"We knew we had to win the game so we wanted to get the first goal," Comet forward Marcos Solis said. " We were nervous."
A win would have meant the conference title for the men's soccer team.
The 49ers had 12 shots on goal compared to CCC's 19. Both keepers made some remarkable saves that held the game scoreless. The goalkeepers combined for 18 saves.
Yuba put pressure on CCC in the middle of the field causing turnovers, but the Comets' backfield helped back up Comet keeper Gustavo Rojas, who had seven saves in the contest.
Goal saving blocks by CCC defender Mason Quintero also kept the 49ers from scoring.
"I just motivate myself to help my team by not giving up a goal," Rojas said. "I want to give my team confidence with my saves."
The Comets were playing with three defenders to strengthen their backside defense, causing them to lose the battles in the middle of the field.
Comet coach Rudy Zeller made an adjustment late in the second half that gave CCC more scoring opportunities.
Solis said, "We added another midfielder toward the end of the second half and that created more scoring opportunities for us."
During the second half Solis had two chances to put the Comets up 1-0, but 49ers' goalie Jose Guerrero made two saves keeping the game scoreless.
CCC midfielder Jaime Ruiz made a good pass to Solis in the middle of the goal box and he attempted a shot that Guerrero blocked, causing them both to fall.
Solis attempted another shot while Guerrero was still on the ground, however, the grounded goalkeeper was still able to get the save.
"I got the ball and made a pass to Jaime. I made a run in the middle and I ran as fast I could," Solis said.
"I got a piece of (the ball) trying to goal poke it, but the goalie made two great saves."
Zeller said despite not making the playoffs, he could not be more proud of his guys' play and how they turned their season around after a dreadful 0-8 start.
The Comets finished in second place for the second consecutive season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership