Untrue fans prove a nuisance for loyal ones
Comet defender Mason Quintero jumps to head the ball against 49ers’ forward Gabriel Vasquez during the game at Yuba College on Friday. Qing Huang / The Advocate
Bandwagon fans seem to squeeze their way into a crowd of loyal fans, disguising themselves with team logos on caps and shirts, shouting a team's name.
Some people don't care about the game or sport, only wanting to affiliate themselves with a winning team giving long-time fans a bad reputation.
During a conversation about baseball with a co-worker recently he said he was a Philadelphia Phillies fan, then he became a Los Angeles Dodgers fan and then, because the San Francisco Giants won the World Series this year, he hopped on the Giants' wagon.
He didn't hesitate to admit he was a bandwagon fan who likes to cheer for teams that win.
According to www.dictionary.com the word bandwagon is defined as a movement that, by its mass appeal or strength, quickly attracts many followers. Connect the word "fan" and the definition of a bandwagon fan becomes a person who claims to support whatever team is winning at the time.
The Oakland Athletics have added a wave of bandwagon fans this year as the team beat the Texas Rangers clearing the way for their postseason path.
At the beginning of the regular season the O.co Coliseum looked empty and unenthusiastic.
The A's were ranked on www.espn.go.com as having the 27th lowest attendance out of 30 major league baseball teams.
As the regular season came to an end, people who frequently attended A's games were noticing seats filling up. They had to wonder where those extra fans had been at the start of the season.
Fans started using social networks such as Instagram to express their feelings posting pictures with captions that read, "Brace yourselves - a wave of bandwagon A's fans are rushing in."
I am a Giants' fan who loves the game of baseball, but it seems harder now than it was 5 years ago.
People assume the reason I like the Giants is because of their success.
Unless people really get to know me they won't understand I just enjoy the game itself.
Baseball isn't the only sport that has uncommitted fans.
The San Francisco 49ers have had a bigger fanbase due to their contention for a spot in the Super Bowl last year.
However, economically speaking, bandwagon fans are good for communities.
The 2012 World Series Champions helped boost the local economy, inspiring people to buy merchandise and attracting those to celebrate at the parade, driving up transportation sales.
Forbes posted a chart of the Giants' merchandise sales revenue over the last decade showing a $29 million increase in just one year, from 2010 to 2011 - after the Giants won the 2010 World Series.
Although those who hop on the wagon help contribute to our economy, the loyalty of a true fan is tested regularly.
A true fan should be faithful throughout a team's worst season, showing dedication, celebrating the victories and dusting off the losses.
Knowing the hardship a team has faced and seeing it finish the season at the top is something every sports fan wants to see.
It's all a matter of staying faithful to one team regardless of the outcome of any given season.
Seeing one's team start off as an underdog and end with a victory parade is the happiest moment that only a true fan can cherish.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists