'Lego Movie' provides laughs, drama
Film influences imagination in children, adults
Students share their thoughts about love in David Houston's, humanities department chairperson Understanding Love class in CTC-114 on Thursday. George Morin / The Advocate
It has been more than 80 years in the making but LEGO finally has the movie for which the brand has been yearning.
The LEGO brand values imagination, creativity, fun, learning, caring and quality so the motion picture by Warner Brothers is family-friendly.
Chris Pratt voices Emmet, a construction worker with a generic face who follows all the instructions given to him and that is what he does best. This trait plays a significant role as the movie reaches its climax.
He stumbles upon and befriends Wild Style, aka Lucy (Elizabeth Banks). She was sent by Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), a blind old man, to find the "Building Master." This master is the prophecy of the LEGO world and this individual will undo all the evil destruction of President Business (Will Ferrell).
President Business has Bad Cop/Good Cop (Liam Neeson) do all of his dirty work. Mr. Business sends him off to stop the duo and retrieve a piece simply known as "the piece of resistance."
Mr. Business needs this last piece to add to his collection, known to the LEGO world as "relics." Along with other household items, such as a dirty Band-Aid, these objects are related to the "man upstairs," whose unseen hand rules the busy little plastic world.
And that is what the film focuses on, imagination and creativity, everything LEGO is supposed to be about.
If viewers expect to see all of their beloved LEGO themed characters, they may be disappointed because this film is solely based on LEGO Construction City toys.
When the movie does show a different character, for example, someone like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings or Michelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it is only for a few words or a quick glimpse.
No Marvel characters are in the film and given how big Marvel is today that is pretty disappointing.
There is, however, special attention given to details crafted by the animators.
Super geeks will be thrilled with cameos from Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels who both reprise their roles from Star Wars as Lando and C-3PO.
The movie is rated PG for mild animated action and humor that can be sensitive for families with toddlers.
For example, when one of Mr. Business' robots asks Batman, "Who are you here to see?" Batman says, "I'm here to see.... your butt!" The LEGO movie hits the heart at the very end and the only animated film I can remember doing that was Pixar's "Toy Story 3."
Overall the movie will please audiences of all ages with plenty of big laughs and smiles for it is a brilliant piece of imagination.
It is recommended to see it in 3D so viewers can have the LEGO pieces popping up right in front of them. This will be two hours worth one's money and time.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!