Comets victorious over Thunderbirds 79-73
Comet forward Jacob Monroe (center) jumps for the rebound against Thunderbirds guards during their game against Merrit College in the Gymnasium on Jan 19. The Comets were victirous over the Thunderbirds 79-73. Christian Urrutia / The Advocate
Sparked by its 79-73 nail-biter victory against Merritt College at home on Jan. 19 the men's basketball team is carrying a two-game winning streak into their Bay Valley Conference match-up for first place, against conference leading Yuba College.
A tight beginning to the Jan. 19 contest between CCC and the Thunderbirds shifted in favor of the Comets' midway through the first half. Merritt, however, prevented being blown out by managing to get to the free throw line and consistently knocked down shots.
The Comets were able to hold Merritt at bay until late in the second half when the renegades climbed back into the contest. CCC was able to hang on for the victory thanks to a clutch shot making and solid defense.
"(In the second half) we started making shots," coach Miguel Johnson said. "We tried to take advantage of mismatches."
The Comets led the BVC in 2011-12 in defensive points allowed and used the same formula to defeat the Renegades.
"We stuck to our defensive game plan," Comet guard Justin Pollard said. "We tried to trap (players) off ball screens and force them to keep (the ball) on one side of the court."
CCC held Merritt to 42 percent shooting. The renegades made 29 of 41 free throw attempts. The Comets finished 23 of 30 from the line and 43 percent from the floor.
Leading the Comets in both points (14) and rebounds (12) was sophomore forward Jacob Monroe.
"I just played my role," he said. "I'm a high energy guy - I get rebounds and put-backs. Everybody has a specific role."
On Jan. 23 the Comets defeated Solano Community College 63-53.
Contra Costa College's 15-5 overall record leads all BVC teams and its 6-2 conference record is second to only Yuba who stands at 7-1 in the BVC (12-7 overall).
The Comets first conference game of the season was Jan. 4 - an 89-60 blowout at the hands of Yuba.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists