Comets victorious over Thunderbirds 79-73
Comet forward Jacob Monroe (center) jumps for the rebound against Thunderbirds guards during their game against Merrit College in the Gymnasium on Jan 19. The Comets were victirous over the Thunderbirds 79-73. Christian Urrutia / The Advocate
Sparked by its 79-73 nail-biter victory against Merritt College at home on Jan. 19 the men's basketball team is carrying a two-game winning streak into their Bay Valley Conference match-up for first place, against conference leading Yuba College.
A tight beginning to the Jan. 19 contest between CCC and the Thunderbirds shifted in favor of the Comets' midway through the first half. Merritt, however, prevented being blown out by managing to get to the free throw line and consistently knocked down shots.
The Comets were able to hold Merritt at bay until late in the second half when the renegades climbed back into the contest. CCC was able to hang on for the victory thanks to a clutch shot making and solid defense.
"(In the second half) we started making shots," coach Miguel Johnson said. "We tried to take advantage of mismatches."
The Comets led the BVC in 2011-12 in defensive points allowed and used the same formula to defeat the Renegades.
"We stuck to our defensive game plan," Comet guard Justin Pollard said. "We tried to trap (players) off ball screens and force them to keep (the ball) on one side of the court."
CCC held Merritt to 42 percent shooting. The renegades made 29 of 41 free throw attempts. The Comets finished 23 of 30 from the line and 43 percent from the floor.
Leading the Comets in both points (14) and rebounds (12) was sophomore forward Jacob Monroe.
"I just played my role," he said. "I'm a high energy guy - I get rebounds and put-backs. Everybody has a specific role."
On Jan. 23 the Comets defeated Solano Community College 63-53.
Contra Costa College's 15-5 overall record leads all BVC teams and its 6-2 conference record is second to only Yuba who stands at 7-1 in the BVC (12-7 overall).
The Comets first conference game of the season was Jan. 4 - an 89-60 blowout at the hands of Yuba.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections