U.S. celebrates Celtic history
Traditional Irish holiday honored, appreciated by many in community
St. Patrick's Day has two sides to it.
On one hand there is the tradition rooted in Catholicism, hence the day named after a patron saint of Ireland.
But in America, the March 17 holiday is a more secular celebration of excessive alcoholic consumption and monochromatic accessories.
"You get drunk and wear green," Contra Costa College Bookstore supply buyer Nick Dunn said.
St. Patrick's Day was a feast day in honor of St. Patrick (367-461 A.D.), the man credited for bringing Christianity to the Emerald Isle, but became a celebration of Irish culture in the 17th century. It has been celebrated in North America since before the Revolutionary War.
Although it falls during Lent, when Catholics fast from their particular indulgences, the church usually lifts restrictions on food and drinking alcohol for St. Patty's Day.
Wearing green and shamrocks replaced the color blue as symbols associated with the holiday. Those found not wearing green may be pinched or punched, some would argue affectionately, because of it.
Since 1852, San Francisco has hosted a St. Patrick's Day parade down Market Street.
Because of the boom of the Gold Rush three years earlier, Irish-American settlers moved to California and were the largest ethnic group in the region for decades.
The 160-year-old parade is the 13th oldest in the country and the largest on the West Coast.
More celebrations of St. Patrick's Day include corned beef feasts, dancing and other Gaelic festivities.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Accent Advocate News Articles
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!