U.S. celebrates Celtic history
Traditional Irish holiday honored, appreciated by many in community
St. Patrick's Day has two sides to it.
On one hand there is the tradition rooted in Catholicism, hence the day named after a patron saint of Ireland.
But in America, the March 17 holiday is a more secular celebration of excessive alcoholic consumption and monochromatic accessories.
"You get drunk and wear green," Contra Costa College Bookstore supply buyer Nick Dunn said.
St. Patrick's Day was a feast day in honor of St. Patrick (367-461 A.D.), the man credited for bringing Christianity to the Emerald Isle, but became a celebration of Irish culture in the 17th century. It has been celebrated in North America since before the Revolutionary War.
Although it falls during Lent, when Catholics fast from their particular indulgences, the church usually lifts restrictions on food and drinking alcohol for St. Patty's Day.
Wearing green and shamrocks replaced the color blue as symbols associated with the holiday. Those found not wearing green may be pinched or punched, some would argue affectionately, because of it.
Since 1852, San Francisco has hosted a St. Patrick's Day parade down Market Street.
Because of the boom of the Gold Rush three years earlier, Irish-American settlers moved to California and were the largest ethnic group in the region for decades.
The 160-year-old parade is the 13th oldest in the country and the largest on the West Coast.
More celebrations of St. Patrick's Day include corned beef feasts, dancing and other Gaelic festivities.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Accent Advocate News Articles
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor