Assistant coach returns to hometown
Former NFL prospect offers helping hand
Injuring his knee may have kept him out of the NFL, but Thomas Byrd will continue to have an impact in the world of football.
Provided the opportunity two weeks ago by Comet football coach Alonzo Carter, the former Boise State University center and San Pablo resident is currently helping coach the team's offensive line in the offseason.
Carter said that as of now Byrd is not the official offensive line coach, he is simply volunteering his time to help the team. However, he may get the full-time coaching position depending on the status of current offensive line coach Scott Glicksberg.
"I've enjoyed being able to help Carter every day," Byrd said. "I like the players on the team and the convenience of coming to campus since the college is down the street from my house."
The 22-year-old is a former player of Carter's at McClymonds High School in Oakland, playing there from 2005-07 before receiving a full athletic scholarship to Boise State.
Carter described Byrd as a tough player with a lot of determination, despite being undersized at his position.
"Byrd came to Mack in his junior year. He wasn't the biggest guy on the field, but he had heart," Carter said. "He was always asking good questions in practice. It was a pleasure coaching him."
At Boise State, Byrd was a redshirt-freshman in 2007, but began the next year as the starting center. He was a starter all four of his seasons as a Bronco.
He was a first-team All-Western Athletic Conference selection in his junior year and was recognized as one of the nation's best centers entering his senior year.
Byrd started 36 consecutive games before injuring his knee in the Broncos third game of the 2011 season, thus ending his senior run.
"It was tough being a four-year starter and having that type of injury. It put a hold on my season," Byrd said.
After Byrd received his bachelor's degree in communications this past winter, Carter, who was aware of Byrd's interest in coaching, decided to offer him a chance to help the Comet players with strength and conditioning training.
So far this offseason, Byrd has emphasized the importance of time management, holding players accountable for putting in time- cards after their workouts.
"He's one of those guys who will push you and test you as a football player," sophomore defensive lineman Beroski Huguley said. "He is already making a big impact on this team with his organization. We have never been this organized prior to him coming here."
Byrd said he is very excited to take on the coaching opportunity.
"It takes getting to know a coach to be able to determine what they think the definition of a leader is," Byrd said.
"Since I played under Carter, I understand what it takes and I know what he wants out of his players."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Accent Advocate News Articles
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists