Event augments funds for department, trips
Jon Cyr, a member of the Hilltop Ukulele Lovers Academy, performs at the 7th Annual Food and Wine Event held in the Gymnasium on Sunday. Cyr is a Contra Costa College alumnus. Qing Huang / The Advocate
Culinary arts student Krishna Pan sets up cookies to be served during the 7th Annual Food and Wine Event held in the Gymnasium on Sunday. Qing Huang / The Advocate
Attendees were greeted with a variety of food and wine as they entered the Gymnasium Sunday for the culinary arts department's 7th annual Food and Wine Event.
The event raises funds for the Contra Costa College Culinary Arts Study Abroad Program, which sends 10 students to Italy to study culinary arts and culture each summer. The department raised approximately $45,000 on Sunday.
The Gymnasium was packed with people and food vendors from all over the East Bay.
According to culinary arts department Chairperson Nader Sharkes there were approximately 1,000 people at the event. The students played a big part bringing this event together, Sharkes said.
"I think this event is outstanding in my opinion, and the students did a good job setting it up," Sharkes said. "We send students to Italy (each summer) to study the culture, and the food and wine event helps us fund it."
Culinary students helped some of the vendors serve food to attendees, and some worked security at the event. The event gave culinary students a chance to show off all that they have learned from the culinary arts program.
"It's something we love to do, so this event helps us culinary art students show off our hard work." culinary arts major Michael Sexton said. "As culinary arts students we work hard, and this shows that our hard work turns into trips to Italy."
At the door, attendees were given a wine glass and a unique paper plate that acts as a cup holder, made by the company Party Green. The plates made it easy for attendees to move around and get food from other vendors with their wine glasses.
Party Green Vice President Ron Clark said, "This is my fifth year sponsoring this event, and these plates are a good way for attendees to have their food and drink in the same place because they will have to walk everywhere at this event."
Chef and partner of Yankee Pier Michael Dunn has been working the food and wine event since its inception in 2008.
Dunn's restaurant is a seafood restaurant, and his booth served freshly chucked oysters.
Even though Dunn did not attend a culinary arts school or department, he said he loves helping enterprising culinary students.
"Being in the food industry, it's fun to support up and coming chefs," Dunn said. "I didn't go to school for culinary. I learned from the food industry. It's just fun to give back to the industry that gave me so much."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership