Pharrell still able to entertain
‘G I R L’ presents latest style, lyrics
Checkmate — Marvin Suarez makes his move against James Zeigler during their chess game Friday in the ASU Chambers. The Chess Club was revived after being on-and-off since 2002. Erik Verduzco / The Advocate
Pharrell Williams' sophomore solo album, "G I R L," creates an upbeat atmosphere that lifts the mood of its listeners.
"G I R L," released on March 3, is Williams' first album since "In My Mind" in 2005.
There is a major difference between these albums. "In My Mind" focused on Williams' fame while "G I R L," as its title presumes, is heavily structured toward the female sex. And "G I R L" can captivate its target audience easily.
It is by no means a step toward embracing feminism, but Pharrell uses women as the topic for each track.
With titles like "Marilyn Monroe," "Lost Queen" and "It-Girl," the theme of the album is easy to follow.
It also shows Williams knows who his listeners are. Simply put, the track list is made for a girls' night out or to brighten up an unpleasant day.
"G I R L" features 10 tracks including the inescapable "Happy" from the film "Despicable Me 2." The first listen to the album will automatically make listeners want to dance.
It is an easy listen, and Williams' signature sounds are present.
There is heavy influence of funk in most of the songs on the album.
"Hunter" is one of those songs. It features the same staccato-like bass lines and a melody to groove to. The vocals harken back to Blondie's "The Rapture."
Justin Timberlake lends his voice to "Brand New," a song made to start the day.
The lyrics are simple: "Good morning / you got me feeling brand new / you got me feeling brand new / like the tag's still on me."
There is no need to overthink.The album is upbeat, happy and made for listeners to feel good.
Another featured artist is Miley Cyrus in "Come Get it Bae," undoubtedly the most danceable track on the album.
It is also the most mainstream friendly.
The intro riffs are similar to "Too Hot to Stop" by The Bar-Kays, which is the intro song to the film "Superbad's" dance sequence.
"Lost Queen" may be the song most women will find lyrically pleasing. It starts with humming which, oddly enough, could remind one of "The Lion King."
It also captures the most signature Williams' sound - heavy bass, smooth vocals and strange sounds Williams makes with his mouth that, somehow, just work.
It is the longest track on the album and takes inspiration from his work producing for Timberlake.
It then drifts into the sound of waves, which lead listeners to what sounds like a completely different song, but simply continues the track.
Many of the songs are inspired by, and comparable to, the work Williams has produced with other artists throughout his years as a producer.
"Gust of Wind" is a continuance of Williams' partnership with Daft Punk and boasts the same funky electro-pop feel as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself to Dance" from Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" album.
The impact Williams has created while producing for other artists is audible within the album. With today's most popular artists lending a hand to Williams' project, it provides a new light to what these artists are capable of doing, with the help of Williams' vision.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World