Pharrell still able to entertain
‘G I R L’ presents latest style, lyrics
Checkmate — Marvin Suarez makes his move against James Zeigler during their chess game Friday in the ASU Chambers. The Chess Club was revived after being on-and-off since 2002. Erik Verduzco / The Advocate
Pharrell Williams' sophomore solo album, "G I R L," creates an upbeat atmosphere that lifts the mood of its listeners.
"G I R L," released on March 3, is Williams' first album since "In My Mind" in 2005.
There is a major difference between these albums. "In My Mind" focused on Williams' fame while "G I R L," as its title presumes, is heavily structured toward the female sex. And "G I R L" can captivate its target audience easily.
It is by no means a step toward embracing feminism, but Pharrell uses women as the topic for each track.
With titles like "Marilyn Monroe," "Lost Queen" and "It-Girl," the theme of the album is easy to follow.
It also shows Williams knows who his listeners are. Simply put, the track list is made for a girls' night out or to brighten up an unpleasant day.
"G I R L" features 10 tracks including the inescapable "Happy" from the film "Despicable Me 2." The first listen to the album will automatically make listeners want to dance.
It is an easy listen, and Williams' signature sounds are present.
There is heavy influence of funk in most of the songs on the album.
"Hunter" is one of those songs. It features the same staccato-like bass lines and a melody to groove to. The vocals harken back to Blondie's "The Rapture."
Justin Timberlake lends his voice to "Brand New," a song made to start the day.
The lyrics are simple: "Good morning / you got me feeling brand new / you got me feeling brand new / like the tag's still on me."
There is no need to overthink.The album is upbeat, happy and made for listeners to feel good.
Another featured artist is Miley Cyrus in "Come Get it Bae," undoubtedly the most danceable track on the album.
It is also the most mainstream friendly.
The intro riffs are similar to "Too Hot to Stop" by The Bar-Kays, which is the intro song to the film "Superbad's" dance sequence.
"Lost Queen" may be the song most women will find lyrically pleasing. It starts with humming which, oddly enough, could remind one of "The Lion King."
It also captures the most signature Williams' sound - heavy bass, smooth vocals and strange sounds Williams makes with his mouth that, somehow, just work.
It is the longest track on the album and takes inspiration from his work producing for Timberlake.
It then drifts into the sound of waves, which lead listeners to what sounds like a completely different song, but simply continues the track.
Many of the songs are inspired by, and comparable to, the work Williams has produced with other artists throughout his years as a producer.
"Gust of Wind" is a continuance of Williams' partnership with Daft Punk and boasts the same funky electro-pop feel as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself to Dance" from Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" album.
The impact Williams has created while producing for other artists is audible within the album. With today's most popular artists lending a hand to Williams' project, it provides a new light to what these artists are capable of doing, with the help of Williams' vision.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”