Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice Program Director Kristi Laughlin (left) consoles Rev. Deborah Lee, who cries while sharing a story about an undocumented woman being held in the West County Detention Center in Pinole Saturday. Janae Harris / The Advocate
Long-time Richmond City Council member John Marquez is dusting off his election hat, and throwing himself into the mix again this November.
Currently serving as vice mayor of Richmond, Marquez's term expires in January and he is looking to retain his seat on the Richmond City Council.
Originally appointed in 1985, he was the first Latino to serve on the Richmond City Council.
Marquez first got involved in organization and administration work at Contra Costa College, where he co-founded the Latino Club in 1969, and was involved in the formation of the La Raza studies department.
Marquez said together with his club members, they questioned the college about their lack of Latino faculty and they were involved in the decision to hire the college's first Hispanic professor, Al Zuniga.
Still an adjunct professor at CCC, Marquez said his goals are "to bring jobs, to bring companies that hire people to Richmond, making sure that they stay in Richmond."
Marquez brings 18 years of experience on the city council, as well as his experience as vice mayor, where he takes the place of the Mayor Gayle McLaughlin whenever she is not available.
"When I worked for the city, I saw the need for jobs, the need for public safety, health care and education," Marquez said. "I was able to promote harmony and goodwill, to bring a community together that for a long time has been fractionalized racially and ethnically."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge