President recognized as Woman of the Year
City of San Pablo bestows honor on Noldon
San Pablo Mayor Paul Morris hands President Denise Noldon her Woman of the Year award voted by the San Pablo Chamber of Commerce Committee on Saturday. Christian Urrutia / The Advocate
In an auditorium full of bright colors, warm lighting and an electric energy, President Denise Noldon was honored as San Pablo's Woman of the Year at the Masonic Lodge in Richmond.
The San Pablo Annual Installation Awards dinner, which took place Saturday, honored the man, woman and business of the year for their contributions to the community.
The winners are determined by sending out slips to the San Pablo Chamber of Commerce Committee, and of the 100 slips sent, approximately 35-40 were returned for a tally, San Pablo Chamber of Commerce president Ian Wright said.
While M.A. Kahn and the Chapel of the Mission Bells Wilson & Kratzer Mortuaries were honored with man and business of the year, Dr. Noldon had the most notable presence.
The crowd roared with applause when Noldon received her awards from Wright, Mayor Paul Morris and Antonio Medrano, vice president of the San Pablo Chamber of Commerce.
Her smile mirrored the happiness emanating from the room.
Although she had just been honored, Noldon remained humble by expressing her gratitude to her family and the city of San Pablo. Noldon confessed that she did not know much about San Pablo in particular when she came to the city.
"I had no idea that my notion of a loving community would extend not only to my college but also to the community of San Pablo," she said.
San Pablo itself has affected her in a positive way, she said.
Noldon intends to continue her service to the community by providing more educational opportunities, and enabling others to give something back to their community, she said.
"I plan to keep staying on the same path and to keep making the community great," she said.
An example of Noldon's active presence in the community is encouraging people to vote for Measure E, a district bond measure that helps finance improvements to Contra Costa, Diablo Valley and Los Medanos colleges, District Governing Board Trustee John Marquez said.
"Noldon does very well in terms of letting the public know what we have to offer. When she speaks, people listen and not everyone has that quality," he said.
Athletic Director John Wade said, "She shows a connection to the community, especially with the city of San Pablo. The city feels really strong and continues to grow strong with her leadership."
When Morris presented the award to Noldon, he recounted when Noldon came to the city of San Pablo as the college president.
"She hit the ground running," Morris said. "She's worked extremely hard, not only at the college, but in the community."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership