Ability Club to host fundraiser
Bay Area outreach program to take part in exhibition game
The Ability Club will be hosting a wheelchair exhibition basketball game in the Gymnasium on May 8.
It will be a fundraiser for the Contra Costa College athletic program and the Ability Club.
The exhibition game will pit students and faculty playing against the Bay Area Outreach and Recreation Program All-Stars, which is a non-profit organization that advances the lives of people with physical disabilities through sports and recreational activities.
"The Ability Club is a college club that raises disability awareness on campus and in the community," Ability Club adviser Eric Appel said.
This is a collaborative effort to raise proceeds for both worthy organizations.
"We've set a goal of $10,000," Ability Club President Dan Hardin said.
The event will be free and open to the public. Prior to the tip-off, which is set for 7 p.m., there will be a live concert by the California School for the Blind's jazz ensemble beginning at 5:30 p.m.
There will also be a halftime performance by CCC's own Guitar Club.
The event is still accepting individuals who are interested in participating and the BORP All-Stars will be providing extra wheelchairs.
"It's going to be a lot of fun," Appel said.
To make a contribution to the fundraiser or for more information, those interested can visit www.gofundme.com/2worthycauses.
Checks are accepted and may be made payable to: CCC Foundation Friends of DSPS.
They may also be submitted at the DSPS Office in SSC-109.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care