Ability Club to host fundraiser
Bay Area outreach program to take part in exhibition game
The Ability Club will be hosting a wheelchair exhibition basketball game in the Gymnasium on May 8.
It will be a fundraiser for the Contra Costa College athletic program and the Ability Club.
The exhibition game will pit students and faculty playing against the Bay Area Outreach and Recreation Program All-Stars, which is a non-profit organization that advances the lives of people with physical disabilities through sports and recreational activities.
"The Ability Club is a college club that raises disability awareness on campus and in the community," Ability Club adviser Eric Appel said.
This is a collaborative effort to raise proceeds for both worthy organizations.
"We've set a goal of $10,000," Ability Club President Dan Hardin said.
The event will be free and open to the public. Prior to the tip-off, which is set for 7 p.m., there will be a live concert by the California School for the Blind's jazz ensemble beginning at 5:30 p.m.
There will also be a halftime performance by CCC's own Guitar Club.
The event is still accepting individuals who are interested in participating and the BORP All-Stars will be providing extra wheelchairs.
"It's going to be a lot of fun," Appel said.
To make a contribution to the fundraiser or for more information, those interested can visit www.gofundme.com/2worthycauses.
Checks are accepted and may be made payable to: CCC Foundation Friends of DSPS.
They may also be submitted at the DSPS Office in SSC-109.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses