Artwork of 'sensual quality' on display until Saturday
Students will have their last chance to view the exhibit currently hanging in the Eddie Rhodes Gallery in A-5 on Friday during its closing reception from 5 to 7 p.m.
Titled "Moments and Cycles," the gallery is a reflection of the cyclical nature of the world with emphasis on seasons and the passage of time. The exhibit features the ambient and sensual works of two artists, Debra Stuckgold and Oliver Dillon.
Acting gallery curator, adjunct fine arts professor Dana Davis, said, "I just read a definition of beauty today from an old Oxford Dictionary. It's defined as a pleasure to the senses. If there is one word to describe this gallery, then, it is beautiful. It immediately appeals to the senses and you can feel it."
Though the showing will be taken down on Saturday, it will remain open for the rest of the week and guests will have the chance to meet the artists and partake of the food and refreshments offered at the reception on Friday.
Featured artist Stuckgold describes her work as interactive, installation-based art that represents the passage of time and employs light and shadows as part of the experience. Stuckgold said the materials she uses vary between projects, but for this particular show she used screen printed Mylar and ink, with lighting set in specific positions to have her work and those experiencing it cast shadows that add to the art's subtle yet ever-changing aesthetic.
Her work is largely based on the seasons and concepts of decay and regeneration, using the nature-inspired arabesque motifs of Islamic Art.
"Her work is very accessible," Davis said. "It draws you in instantly with its sensual quality."
After Davis contacted her to be the sole attraction of the gallery, Stuckgold contacted Dillon, whose work she said addresses similar concepts and would expand upon the basis for the exhibit.
"We were interested in juxtaposing our works together," Stuckgold said. "The gallery is a play on presence and absence, and with that idea we've been looking at time through different variables."
Dillon brings different media to the gallery with graphite drawings on paper and oil paintings on canvas. He describes his work as timelines that represent cycles he has noticed throughout history, and uses knowledge from personal studies in the sciences and quantum physics to draw cyclical parallels between the micro and macro.
His work is a blending of art, science and history that examines chaos in varying contexts and touches on phenomena that come full-circle, with the ultimate goal of furthering the human understanding of the universe.
"In my large timeline, there are these moments of chaos that seem so small when you zoom out to get the whole picture, but there is so much going on inside and outside of these little moments that reflect various cycles in life," Dillon said.
He explained that the large timeline is representative of a cycle, but it is also filled up by many smaller cycles that may appear minuscule in relation to the bigger picture, but are just as complex and relevant to life.
Davis said due to uncertainty around how many guests will show up on a Friday evening for the reception, refreshments will be provided by art department employees and not the culinary arts department.
"It's going to be challenging getting a good student turnout on a Friday night," he said. "We'll see what happens."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”