Squad unable to maintain momentum
sam attal / The Advocate Pump it — Blood Centers of the Pacific phlebotomist Erin Dunn draws blood from student Krystian Grove’s arm at the ASU Blood Drive in the Recreation Room Thursday. Grove donated 500 milliliters of blood. Sam Attal / The Advocate
The Comet softball team is predictable. Every game one knows exactly which pitcher will start, exactly where everyone will play and who will be sitting out. The only real mystery so far this season has been how much the team is going to lose by.
Some of the predictability has its merits. Caitlin Bal is going to start because she is the number three pitcher in the Bay Valley Conference at the moment, with 19 strikeouts.
Any given game Kaitlyn Oshiro will be catcher because of how easily she can take the ball and get it exactly where it needs to be. Not to mention, having taken several bats and stray balls to the head, she may be the toughest catcher in the BVC.
Yet, despite this talent, the Comets are currently 1-5-1 this season and, if something does not change, that record is going to continue to plunge.
Almost every loss the Comets have faced this season has been due to errors. The team lets its confidence fall apart because of giving up a run or having a major upset almost every game.
The Comets' record so far this season speaks for itself; what coach Karolyn Gubbine is doing with her team is not working.
The team has talent - there is no doubt about that. The problem is, other than a few key positions, that talent is not being properly applied.
The Comets' main problem is their infield. There have been, officially, 22 errors committed by the Comets this season, and only three of those errors happened in the outfield. Almost half of those errors have occurred along the third baseline.
The Comets have nothing to lose by trying something new, and only everything to gain. Liliana Reyes is easily the Comets' most versatile player, having played more positions this season than any other player. Gubbine would do her team a favor by bringing Reyes into a position with more responsibility, such as third base or shortstop.
Gubbine has said that Reyes is capable of playing any position. It would be more than worth the risk to put Reyes behind home plate to try Oshiro somewhere else.
Oshiro is a great catcher, and she could easily be great in another position as well.
Diablo Valley College has been the most dynamic team the Comets have played. If one glances at the positions between the two games the Comets played against the Vikings, one will notice that DVC's fielding positions were markedly different between the two games, and it worked for them.
One never knows how a player will perform until it comes down to game time. With seven games under their belts, Gubbine knows exactly how her players will perform at their positions, and it is time to see how the players perform outside of their comfort zone.
What the Comets have been trying has not worked, though there is the chance that trying something else will.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!