Inefficient Comet offense leads in tie
49ers match Comet onslaught, 1-1
A constant but deficient Comet offensive was unable to score the winning goal, resulting in a 1-1 tie at Yuba College last Friday.
Contra Costa College (8-5-3 overall, 4-1-3 in the Bay Valley Conference) walked onto the field coming off of its three game Bay Valley Conference winning streak.
Sitting second in the BVC table with 15 points, CCC trails first place Merritt College (10-3-3 overall, 6-1-1 in the BVC) by four points.
A conference win against the 49ers would have narrowed the gap to a single point.
Men's soccer coach Rudy Zeller said this whole season has been full of mistakes and missed opportunities. "We just couldn't score," he said post-game.
Striker Pedro Rodriquez and center-midfielder Roberto Calixto were both injured in prior games and were unable to take the field. Zeller said that both of these players are very influential for the team and limited its attacking options.
Within the first ten minutes of play a Comet error in the midfield resulted in a turnover. A Yuba striker ran it past the defense in a fast break and was able to put the ball past keeper Max Sonnier.
"We made an early mistake and controlled game from there," Zeller said.
Yuba attempted to extend its lead by changing the tempo of the game with quick long passes up the field hoping it would reach a striker in open space.
The 49ers' impatience resulted in many turnovers allowing CCC to slow the game down and play their break-away-style.
By stringing quick, concise passes back and forth from the midfield and defensive back-line. CCC was able to maintain possession of the ball higher up the field in Yuba territory.
This resulted in more Comet players making runs into dangerous goal scoring areas hoping to receive a lobbed pass from midfield.
A Comet onslaught finally resulted in a goal. Left midfielder Bobbi Gonzalez put his laces on the ball to slot it past the 49er keeper with only five minutes left until the end of the first-half.
The assist was supplied by right-fullback Sam Mendez from the midfield. A diagonal cross to left field reached Gonzalez just outside the box.
With time, and in open space Gonzalez made a quick break into the box to rocket the ball past Yuba keeper Victor Alcantar.
"He laced it in," keeper Gustavo Rojas said as he kept the bench warm for Max Sonnier.
Zeller switched keepers at halftime. This substitution put Rojas in front of goal.
The Comets' domination of the game went well into the second half. Every chance on goal was wasted by its strikers or blocked by Alcantar.
Shots from Comet forwards Brian Randall and Marco Solis either went high, wide or straight to the keeper, Zeller said.
Both teams remained tied, 1-1 at the final whistle.
The Comets next BVC game will be on Friday at Napa Valley College at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy