Inefficient Comet offense leads in tie
49ers match Comet onslaught, 1-1
A constant but deficient Comet offensive was unable to score the winning goal, resulting in a 1-1 tie at Yuba College last Friday.
Contra Costa College (8-5-3 overall, 4-1-3 in the Bay Valley Conference) walked onto the field coming off of its three game Bay Valley Conference winning streak.
Sitting second in the BVC table with 15 points, CCC trails first place Merritt College (10-3-3 overall, 6-1-1 in the BVC) by four points.
A conference win against the 49ers would have narrowed the gap to a single point.
Men's soccer coach Rudy Zeller said this whole season has been full of mistakes and missed opportunities. "We just couldn't score," he said post-game.
Striker Pedro Rodriquez and center-midfielder Roberto Calixto were both injured in prior games and were unable to take the field. Zeller said that both of these players are very influential for the team and limited its attacking options.
Within the first ten minutes of play a Comet error in the midfield resulted in a turnover. A Yuba striker ran it past the defense in a fast break and was able to put the ball past keeper Max Sonnier.
"We made an early mistake and controlled game from there," Zeller said.
Yuba attempted to extend its lead by changing the tempo of the game with quick long passes up the field hoping it would reach a striker in open space.
The 49ers' impatience resulted in many turnovers allowing CCC to slow the game down and play their break-away-style.
By stringing quick, concise passes back and forth from the midfield and defensive back-line. CCC was able to maintain possession of the ball higher up the field in Yuba territory.
This resulted in more Comet players making runs into dangerous goal scoring areas hoping to receive a lobbed pass from midfield.
A Comet onslaught finally resulted in a goal. Left midfielder Bobbi Gonzalez put his laces on the ball to slot it past the 49er keeper with only five minutes left until the end of the first-half.
The assist was supplied by right-fullback Sam Mendez from the midfield. A diagonal cross to left field reached Gonzalez just outside the box.
With time, and in open space Gonzalez made a quick break into the box to rocket the ball past Yuba keeper Victor Alcantar.
"He laced it in," keeper Gustavo Rojas said as he kept the bench warm for Max Sonnier.
Zeller switched keepers at halftime. This substitution put Rojas in front of goal.
The Comets' domination of the game went well into the second half. Every chance on goal was wasted by its strikers or blocked by Alcantar.
Shots from Comet forwards Brian Randall and Marco Solis either went high, wide or straight to the keeper, Zeller said.
Both teams remained tied, 1-1 at the final whistle.
The Comets next BVC game will be on Friday at Napa Valley College at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now