Comets seal win in final seconds, 77-75
(Right) Comet guard Armein Outing jumps up for a layup against a Falcon guard during their game against Solano Community College in the Gymnasium on Jan. 22. The Comets were victorious over the Falcons, 77-75. Qing Huang / The Advocate
"I trust (Davion Mize) he's an all-conference guard, and he makes shots like those in all levels he played in." men's basketball coach Miguel Johnson said about it's win against Solano Community College in the Gymnasium on Jan. 22.
The home crowd erupted when Comet sophomore guard Mize sunk the 3-pointer that give the men's basketball team a 77-75 win over Solano Community College (7-12 overall, 3-5 in the Bay Valley Conference) during the last seconds of the game. Mize hit back-to-back 3-pointers to tie and win the game for the Comets
"It was the best choice to give it to Mize in that type of situation." freshman guard Armain Outing said.
The Comets (10-10 overall, 4-4 in the BVC) started the game strong defensively creating two consecutive turnovers on the Falcons, however, SCC defense made adjustments to CCC defensive scheme.
During the first half the Falcons maintained the lead, but the Comets stayed in the game by capitalizing on SCC miscues. The Comets made a run to make the game 37-36, and ended the first half with a one-point lead over the Falcons.
"Solano's a pretty good team and they made adjustments, and plus we got trouble with our fouls," Johnson said.
At the start of the second half the Comets came out flat, but were still forcing turnovers on the Falcons to stay in the game.
They had trouble making shots, but down the stretch it was Comet freshman center Darius Workman's rebounding that gave the Comets opportunities for more successful drives.
With two minutes left in the game Workman bullied and snatched the ball out of Falcons guard Ryan Sondi hands to give the Comets another possession.
"It was my priority as a big man to get those rebounds for my team," Workman said about his rebounding during the last couple minutes of the game, "I saw the opportunity to take the ball, so I capitalized on it."
The Comets were down five points before tying the game 71-71 with less than a minute left in the game.
Falcons guard Donavan Smith nailed a 3-pointer to break the tie.
Mize answered back with a 3-pointer to tie the game 74-74 with 40 seconds left in the game.
The Falcons held onto the ball for 31 seconds before Mize committed his third foul on Sondi. Sondi had not missed a free throw the whole night of the game.
Sondi split the free throw, only sinking one of the shots. Which gave the Falcons a one-point lead, so with 9 seconds the Comets turned to their strongest player Mize to make a play.
With 1.9 seconds left Mize sunk a 3-pointer to seal the win for the Comets.
"We were down by 3, so I knew I had to make the shot. It felt really good when the ball went in,' Mize said about his two clutch 3-pointers. "I'm the sophomore on the team, so I have to lead by example."
Mize ended the game with 30 points including his two clutch 3-pointers to win the game for the Comets.
The Comets have a BYE this week, but its next game will be Jan. 29 against first place Yuba College (14-4 overall, 8-0 BVC).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Accent Advocate News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ACCENT ADVOCATE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ACCENT ADVOCATE NEWS
RECENT ACCENT ADVOCATE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists